Friday, May 05, 2006

What I meant to say...

My grandmother, D.J. G-mom, had to send a HELLO?! letter to get me to tune back in to the family this week. She sent an e-mail to say that she'd sold the house, cashed in the stocks and was planning to move to Fiji with a man she met over the Internet.

Her plan worked. We all started calling her and emailing each other like crazy. It was a great way to get our attention.

So, obviously, dear readers, you are not the only ones I've been ignoring these days. I thought about you this morning when I was walking to the train and spotted a tiny baby bird lying on the sidewalk. It fell out of the tree, I guess, because it didn't even have fur yet. Uh, I mean feathers. Anyway, I should have moved it off the path, but I didn't even slow down to take a good look. A block later, I walked through an essay that had been scattered across the street, but I didn't stop to read it. A couple of blocks later, I saw some crumpled thong underwear on the sidewalk. (No, I didn't stop for it either.)

It would be hard to find more interesting things just laying on the sidewalk, but I just kept walking. Maybe it's time to slow down a bit.

No comments: