Friday, December 15, 2006

Let's raise a glass to the bitter end?

"If you ever wanna find me, I can still be found, taking the long way around."

There's a nasty rumor going around that suggests the Dixie Chicks are planning to split up after the Grammys. It's been a tough couple of years for the Chicks, and I couldn't blame them for getting tired of fighting for their own opinions. But I hope they don't give up.

I'd miss them terribly. I bought their first album, Wide Open Spaces, after "I can love you better" got stuck in my head. I assumed it would be bubble-gum country sung by three dumb blondes since that's the impression I got from their their first video. Instead, their songs of heartbreak, hope and excitement has become very personal for me.

Just over a break-up with a cheating bastard? Play "Sin Wagon" while you get ready to go out on the town.

Finishing high school and leaving home for the first time? "Wide Open Spaces."

Tucking your baby in for the night? "Godspeed (Sweet Dreams)" or "Lullaby."

Each of their albums show the Chicks' growth as women with full lives, and I would hate to miss out on the next chapter. Hopefully, their break-up plans are just rumors.

2 comments:

Mary B. said...

For country music, they're not too bad. :)

Unknown said...

They are denying the rumors but I think they may take a little time off. Natalie lives on the west coast now and they all have babies to look after. I remember them pre Natalie. They were traveling around in a pink Winnebago playing festivals and summer camps and wearing goofy couwgirl clothes.